[tog] Self-hosting advocacy

Éibhear eibhear.geo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 17:06:15 CEST 2019

Hi,

I would like to know if members of TOG are aware of any advocacy groups
focused on promoting self-hosting, particularly as regards how it is
affected by government policy.

For those not familiar with the notion, self-hosting is where someone
sets up a service on the internet using their own resources. This could
be a blog (e.g. using Wordpress), micro-blogging (e.g. using GNU Social
or Mastodon), an instant messaging service (e.g. using XMPP or matrix).
In my view, "using their own resources" means either setting up and
managing the servers directly (e.g. in a home office) or buying
computing power from a hosting provider.

If you're interested in learning more, there's a huge list of options at
https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted/.

The Oireachtas Committee on Justice and Equality is seeking submissions
on "issues of online harassment, harmful communications and related
offences"[1]. The deadline is the 20th September.

I am in the process of preparing a submission for the committee that
will (I hope) serve to inform them of the potential impact any
legislation may have on perfectly legal self-hosted services. I made a
similar submission to the Department of Communications, Climate Action
and the Environment in April this year[2][3].

I would like not to make a personal submission this time 'round, which
is why I'm wondering if there might be a group already working on one.
If there isn't such a group, I will then look into forming one. My
thinking is that making a submission as an organisation may carry a
small bit more weight than a personal one.

This won't be the last opportunity to make such a submission; the new
Copyright Directive and Terrorism Content directive will inspire
contributions to help protect self-hosting, so if there's an advocacy
group, it will be active for the next few years.

If anyone is aware of any such group, or is interested in being part of
one, please get in touch with me off-list. Contact details below.

Thanks,

Éibhear

[1]
https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/committees/submissions/20190808-committee-on-justice-and-equality-calls-for-submissions-on-online-harassment-and-harmful-communications/