[tog] Fwd: Micro Controller for LED’s

Philipp Klaus Krause pkk at spth.de
Tue Nov 13 17:59:16 CET 2018

Trying to send from a different address (got a "Client host blocked
using Barracuda Reputation" on the address with which I'm registered for
the TOG list).

Betreff: Re: [tog] Micro Controller for LED’s
Datum: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 17:49:24 +0100
Von: Philipp Klaus Krause <philipp at informatik.uni-frankfurt.de>
An: tog at lists.tog.ie

Am 13.11.18 um 13:44 schrieb Derek Healy via tog:
> Hi guys,
>
> Would anyone on here be very familiar with different
> micro-controllers? I’m looking for cheap, efficient controllers to
> operate up to about 30 LED’s at a time. It doesn’t need to do much
> else than have a few inputs and capabilities for the amount of LED’s.
> Also getting ones as cheap as possible is preferable. Anyone have any
> thoughts?
>
> Rgds,
>
> Derek

If they should be cheap, efficient and you don't need a lot of
processing power, 8-bit devices are a good option.

* A cheap one that is well supported by free tools is the STM8 family.
There are even evaluation boards showing the LED control use. Recently,
I ordered a battery-powered STM8 evaluation board with 21 LEDs on it
(and there are a few free I/O left); it arrived yesterday, I haven't
found the time to try the board yet. The layout looks rather simple -
just a large (i..e with many I/O pins) µC, two tiny ICs, some passive
components and the LEDs.

* Slightly better free tool support at a slightly higher price can be
found in the AVR family.

* Very cheap, with okayish free tool support would be the
MCS-51-compatible devices by ST (also some other Chinese companies).

* Extremly cheap, but not yet supported in free tools would be the
microcontrolers by the small company Padauk on Taiwan. You might well
find that a Padauk µC costs less than an LED (there was a small hype
around those devices recently, due to some of them being available even
in single-unit quantities at about 0.03$).

If you go for a µC with few pins, you'l need extra components in the
interface to the LEDs.

Philipp