[tog] Micro Controller for LED’s

Daniel Cussen zg3410 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 16:17:54 CET 2018

Instead of using a microcontroller with 30 outputs, you normally use some
firm of rows and columns set up to reduce the number of outouts . This is
called a matrix, and an advanced version is called charlieplexing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlieplexing

For 30 leds I would recommend using an arduino, suited to accept a 'LOL
shield'

This was designed to plug straight into an arduino uno and drive a large
number of LEDs. You do not actually need the shield, but it would be a good
start and help you learn how to get it to work. If you bought two shield
you could use one standard for learning and use the second one for the
final use by moving the LEDs away from the arduino to where they are
needed.

If you search for the lol shield you can get more information.

The main downsides are that the LEDs all need to be the same type and
colour or they may have brightness and reliability issues. The firmware
also loads the microcontroller quite heavily, updating the led status
constantly in real time.