[tog] Request for advice: Recommendation for a home NAS?

Mike Hibbett mike.hibbett at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 00:07:14 CET 2018

Thanks for all the tips so far people.

Given my budget, needs, and crap lying around the home lab, I'm looking at
going with

  Intel DQ77KB mother board + small case (kicking around the lab)

  FreeNAS

  4 x 1TB magnetic disks, RAID 1, giving me 2TB "fairly reliable" storage.

I'm not after RAID10 style performance because its a home setup and at
worst we will be streaming a video over a 100MB ethernet link back to the
house.

Not sure if FreeNAS will give me the flexibility I'm looking for (LoraWan
MQTT broker, maybe the odd database here and there) but I'll try before I
buy :)

If anyone thinks I'm crazy (in this particular case, not generally) please
shout.

With the stuff I have kicking about it looks like I'm only needing to
invest in four 1TB magnetic disks, about 240 euro total.

Many thanks again,

Mike