[tog] 8-10 old computers

Sergiusz Bazański q3k at q3k.org
Thu Jun 30 00:01:00 CEST 2016

On 06/29/2016 05:28 PM, Schrodinger via tog wrote:
> On 2016/06/29 16:02, Ben Field via tog wrote:
>> Not yet, it's in the plans. If you want to get involved in the infra stuff then
>> let's talk directly and take it off list.
>
> Why?
>
> It's TOG related. Be nice to have an open discussion here for all to
> chime in on the intended design, hardware and software that's going to
> be used.
>
> Where people may not chime in it might be nice to have the discussion
> for people to read and witness what might be formed organically.

Chiming in as another person wanting to help with the infra (but still
without access to the internal Tog mailing list ...).

Here's what I'd like to do:

 - bring up a router/NAT (APU2 C4 with PFSense/OpenBSD/whatever, it's
   ordered, should be here next Monday)
 - do physical cable runs from ISP CPE to rack, and from rack to LAN
   drops / AP locations
 - start up a few extra APs (we still need them, anyone want to buy
   some abgn/ac Ubnts/Mikrotiks/TPLinks with OpenWRT?)
 - network & power cabling of rack
 - start bringing up servers, hopefully starting off with one that
   would run a CM system (Chef/Puppet/Salt/whatever)
 - bring up basic services, I was thinking of:
   - OpenLDAP & Kerberos (FreeIPA? manually on a BSD/Linux box?)
   - some sort of storage (NAS for users, iSCSI for boxen)
   - some sort of virtualization/containerization infrastructure
     (something basic like dokku at first will probably be enough)
 - document stuff on the Wiki (once I get access...) as we go

--
Sergiusz 'q3k' Bazański
xmpp/email: q3k at q3k.org