[tog] Drone security resources

Sergiusz Bazański q3k at q3k.org
Wed Feb 24 00:36:15 CET 2016

On 02/23/2016 05:48 PM, Diarmaid McManus wrote:
> Samy Kamkar (of myspace worm fame) has written a tool called SkyJack,
> which attempts to hijack drones. http://samy.pl/skyjack/

Yes, but in this case this is only an automated attack against
semi-secure WiFi networks.

I've been meaning to get involved into researching the security of
typical hobby RC systems, of which little seem to care about.

Having built a quadrocopter and worked with a bunch of other people that
did the same, I found that most of the control systems are either 5GHz,
2.4Ghz or 433 MHz ISM based, while FPV video streams usually hang out on
the 2.4 or 5GHz spectrum.
A lot of the control protocols employ automated channel hopping as a way
to protect against interference with other systems on said bands (be it
RC control or other ISM use), but I've only seen one that actually seems
to do encryption and/or authentication (which I forgot the name of, will
update this conversation if I dig it up again).

It seem like an RF hacker with an SDR should be able to interfere with a
hobby RC system quite easily. I will gladly assist in such research with
both a HackRF and a hobby RC drone (but little to no RF knowledge), if
time permits and such assistance is needed.

As a reminder, this is all concerning hobby RC 'drones', not war
machines that are designed to kill. However, the impact of research on
this could still be quite substantial.

Cheers,
--
Serge 'q3k' Bazański