[tog] Nichrome wire

Sean Nicholls seannicholls at gmail.com
Fri May 29 18:44:35 CEST 2015

I replaced the iron wire with the guitar wire (they're only 99c in
waldons!), and it works great.

Gary, your rig needs some updating - it could do with a spring or something
to keep constant tension as the wire gets slack with heating up etc.

I found ~10-11v @ 1-2A worked well for this set-up. I used the bench power
supply to test it out, although now we know a range any old DC supply
should do.

Sean

On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Sonia Murphy <soniatm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll be interested in hot wire cutting feathers at some point. The wire
> will have to hold a shape. Don't suppose anyone's done anything like that?
>
> Sonia
>

> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Mike Hibbett <mike.hibbett at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> >What you cutting, modellng polystyrene?
>>
>> yes, and also expanded polystyrene. I built a simple PWM controller
>> switching a 12v 5A power supply.
>> Different settings need between the two - the setting for modelling
>> polystyrene evaporates the expanded stuff like candyfloss.
>>
>> It's original use was for cutting cheap foam car wash sponges to make
>> parts for drum pads.
>>
>> On 29 May 2015 at 16:29, digi hobo <hontar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What you cutting, modellng polystyrene?
>>>
>>> Speaking of making tools, I thought I'd give making a vacuum forming a go
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maH5Ech0wK8
>>>
>>> Cheap to make, just need some mdf and an old hoover.
>>> Where would I get a free 2nd hand hoover?
>>>
>>> Also some electrical heating elements to warm up the plastic.
>>>
>>> On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 2:02 PM, Mike Hibbett <mike.hibbett at gmail.com>

telephone: +353 083-105-1500
email: seannicholls at gmail.com
website: http://www.seannicholls.com/