[tog] UPS for my House / Off Grid System

Noel Bourke cros13 at cros13.net
Thu Apr 16 13:43:08 CEST 2015

If you are going grid-connected (and you have no other option on your
budget) you are going to be feeding power back into the grid, whether it's
metered or not. The meter is free.
The system can run when the grid power is down if you get an additional
automatic transfer switch.

For €4,000 you can just about pay for a basic setup of 4kw of panels and a
inverter, if you do most of the labor yourself.
There is no way you can fit a battery system of any reasonable capacity (2
Kwh+) for that kind of money, even the cheapest sunny boy all-in-one
inverter and battery system starts at €5,500 excl. the panels.
A DIY system for the same capacity would cost more and involve a lot more
risk with the system design.

All this will be a lot more feasible next year when hopefully the feed-in
tariffs will be reintroduced. Up to last year you could sell power to the
grid at 9c/kWh during the day and buy it back at night at 7.4c/kWh.

Monitoring your usage is step one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/OWL-Intuition-E-Based-Energy-Monitor/dp/B008MYXEHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429184121&sr=8-1&keywords=owl+intuition