[tog] UPS for my House / Off Grid System

Sonia Murphy soniatm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 12:15:35 CEST 2015

We looked briefly into wind generation a couple of years ago, and it seemed
that the cost and the lifetime meant there wouldn't be any money saving at
all for normal household use.

My parents are very happy with solar for heating water, rather than
electricity generation. It's saving them oil, rather than electricity, but
still saving money, and a non-renewable energy source.

We're using a ground source heat pump, which is working well for us in
combination with plumbed underfloor heating. If you're building, and have
land for the pipes, I'd recommend that. Adding electrical underfloor
heating to an existing house isn't the same at all.

Another thing to watch out for with generating your own electricity is that
you cannot generate and be connected to the grid when there's a powercut -
it's for the safety of people fixing things.

If you have one thing in particular that uses a decent amount of power, it
could be worth looking into powering just that thing. I can't remember what
their power source is, probably wind, but my in-laws use something for the
milking parlour, with a tractor powered backup.

Sonia