[tog] UPS for my House / Off Grid System

Noel Bourke cros13 at cros13.net
Wed Apr 15 23:42:28 CEST 2015

So there are a number of issues that might impact your plan:

1. Since 31st of December there is no feed-in tariff so any spare power you
don't store will be given to the grid *for free*. A situation unique in the
EU.

2. If you don't draw enough power from the grid, you will be hit with a
low-usage surcharge of 66c/day as a nice solid F*ck You from the
electricity grid for giving it free energy.

3. The energy you give the grid is not offset against the energy you draw
at night (because apparently net metering leads to communism)

4. Any equipment like that in a grid connected system needs to be certified
under the irish standards.
A DIY system will find it difficult to meet that requirement, especially
since *none* of the commercial systems have been certified.

But if you fit the battery system after the export meter is fitted what
they don't know won't hurt them.

The cheapest system is SMA's:
http://www.sma.de/en/products/solarinverters/sunny-boy-3600-5000-smart-energy.html

Of the current systems on the market Bosch has the best (UK launch due next
month):
http://bosch-solar-storage.com/

However Tesla are due to announce a new battery energy storage system the
end of this month that's expected to halve the cost tpre kWh of the Bosch
systems:
http://www.solarcity.com/residential/energy-storage

There are rumors that a 230v system would be sold in the UK starting early
next year.

Or you could go the route of using an immersun to heat water with the spare
PV power. Some people have also buried heating elements in the ground to
waste energy to get below the low-usage surcharge.

--cros13