[tog] UPS for my House / Off Grid System

Kieran O'Sullivan whoiskieran at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 21:45:52 CEST 2015

Hi All

I am looking to build a off-grid system for my home.  In reality it would
be more like a UPS, which sits between the main power line and the house.
My plan is to try and feed in wind and solar energy to the system so that I
can save money and the environment.

If anyone has built such as system can you let me know.

The UPS would power the house and would be charged by the wind/solar system
during the day, and at night I would consume the power once the power got
too low it would switch back to the main power.

Also if anyone thinks this is unworkable let me know.

I am not sure if wind-mills can be set-up in urban settings putting it on
the roof might work but may not be high enough.

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the
poor have no food, they call me a communist."  Hélder Câmara

"We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the
victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." (Elie
Wiesel )

"Act your way into a feeling don’t feel your way into Action" (Gandhi)

"When I say 'free', I mean 'free': free from bond, of chain or command:
to go where you will, even to Mordor, Saruman, if you desire. "

Gandalf, paraphrasing the choice between Free and Non-free software.

Kieran O'Sullivan
66 Edenmore Avenue Raheny Dublin 5
Mobile: +353(0)876187680