[tog] July Book Club: Lathe of Heaven & Roadside Picnic

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Sun Jun 29 20:49:55 CEST 2014

Hi all,

The next meeting of the TOG Book Club is 7:30pm, Friday 25th July 2014,
and we’ll be reading two books this time.

The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin

The Lathe of Heaven is a 1971 science fiction novel by Ursula K. Le
Guin. The plot revolves around a character whose dreams retroactively
alter reality. The novel received nominations for the 1972 Hugo and the
1971 Nebula Award, and won the Locus Award for Best Novel in 1972

and Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky

Roadside Picnic (Russian: Пикник на обочине) is a short science fiction
novel written by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky in 1971. Roadside Picnic is
a work of fiction based on the aftermath of an extraterrestrial event
(called the Visitation) which simultaneously took place in half a dozen
separate locations around Earth for a two-day period.

The TOG Book Club doesn’t read books over 400 pages (which is can limit
the sci-fi books available!). Both of these books are quite short (184
and 145 pages), and combined they are under our 400 page limit.

Thanks to everyone who came to our June 2014 Book Club and read Never
Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

All are welcome to come and chat about the book (members & non-members).
No charge.

More details: http://www.tog.ie/2014/06/july-2014-book-club/

ROry