[tog] potential coder meet-up group?

Matt Boyer mboyer at SDF.ORG
Fri Oct 11 15:49:38 IST 2013

Hi,

Please see in-line.

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 03:18:53PM +0100, Sean Nicholls wrote:
> Given the kind of feedback I'm getting on and off list, this definitely seems to be something worthwhile doing.
>
> There are some questions around how to go about it though, with everyone at different skill levels and a good mix of different languages, I wonder what the best approach to take would be.
>
> Becky - when you mentioned Arduino it had me wondering if there was a way to have an ongoing Arduino related project which has some basic electronics and software requirements. That way you keep the skilled programmers interested and the rest will be able to focus on some of the more basic concepts.

It's interesting that Arduino has been mentioned. I think the logistics are different between an event that focuses on 'pure' software programming and one that involves hardware, eg. with Arduino boards. In the former, you can work on laptops and potentially have several people working on different areas at the same time or providing assistance on several projects. In the latter case, the hardware can become a bottleneck and there may be a shortage of persons knowledgeable about eg. Arduino.

> I think a project would be good as it provides some immediate direction for people who wouldn't be sure what they wanted to work on, but wanted to improve their skills, it also has a certain obvious progress to it. Yet I wonder would it put people off from joining in later on.

This is true, but it also raises the question: "Whose project?". I think Becky had the right idea to match skills and interests to project ideas beforehand so there's a clear idea of who's gonna do what.

Speaking of, it's occurred to me that making a firefox extension could be a nice "default" project for someone who's not quite sure what they want to work on. It's JavaScript, the environment is nicely self-contained and it has the advantage of being immediately useful. Plus I've been working on one ;)

Cheers,

- Matt

> I'm not sure, any thoughts?
>

> On 11 Oct 2013, at 14:17, Rebecca Yates <rebecca at ryates.me.uk> wrote:
>
> > I'd be interested in this. I know enough C to make Arduinos do interesting things, and I'd be willing to help newbies with general programming problems.
> >
> > I also want to upgrade the Python code[1] for the knitting machine[2] so that we can knit images as well as text. While I could hack that together myself, I'd really like to pair on it with someone whose Python is better than mine. Any takers?
> >
> > Agree on the introversion point. Possibly the group would benefit from optionally matching up skills and requests before each meeting (group mailing list, or something).
> >
> > Becky
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/tangentmonger/twitterknitter/blob/master/server.py
> > [2] https://eirebecky.wordpress.com/2013/08/02/the-twitterknitter/
> >
> > On 11/10/13 12:57, Matt Boyer wrote:
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> My name's Matt and I've been a very occasional presence in Tog since last year, usually tagging along with Aoife to lockpicking night.
> >>
> >> I've started some OSS projects (https://github.com/mattboyer) and contributed to others - my skills are mostly C and Python, but I should be able to help with JavaScript, lowish-level hacking (ioctl's, snooping around binaries, that sorta thing) and general Unixy things as well.
> >>
> >> Now, the thing is I'm a pretty hardcore introvert and I know I do poorly in free-flowing, social settings with lots of noise and cross-talk. I'd love to take part in a coding event where things are fairly focused on getting a project going and moving it along. Ideally, I'd be looking at taking on more of a mentoring role in a programming meet-up.
> >>
> >> So there you go, consider my interest registered!
> >>
> >> - Matt

----
Matt Boyer <mboyer at sdf.org>
"Follow me, the wise man said