[tog] potential coder meet-up group?

Matt Boyer mboyer at SDF.ORG
Fri Oct 11 12:57:52 IST 2013

Hello!

My name's Matt and I've been a very occasional presence in Tog since last year, usually tagging along with Aoife to lockpicking night.

I've started some OSS projects (https://github.com/mattboyer) and contributed to others - my skills are mostly C and Python, but I should be able to help with JavaScript, lowish-level hacking (ioctl's, snooping around binaries, that sorta thing) and general Unixy things as well.

Now, the thing is I'm a pretty hardcore introvert and I know I do poorly in free-flowing, social settings with lots of noise and cross-talk. I'd love to take part in a coding event where things are fairly focused on getting a project going and moving it along. Ideally, I'd be looking at taking on more of a mentoring role in a programming meet-up.

So there you go, consider my interest registered!

- Matt

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 08:59:40AM +0100, Jacob Thomas wrote:
> I'd be interested. Getting more into programming, but have a bit of
> experience with Lua and some of the more obscure languages. Only worry I'd
> have about this is if it turned into open source night, where people just
> sit around talking about nothing, instead of actually coding or
> contributing.
>

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Caoimhin Blake <caoimhin.blake at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I would be interested, my skills would be advanced C++ and C# but beginner
> > level python and always interested in other languages, developer tools
> > and IDE's. I have a couple of ideas for new projects or am willing to get
> > involved in others if
> > required.
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Are you interested in a programming based meet-up in Tog?
> > >
> > > I've heard from a couple of people recently that they would like a
> > regular
> > > group in Tog that would be programming-oriented, with a heavy bent on
> > > helping out the newbies.
> > >
> > > I know myself it was a hard slog to get past that initial learning curve,
> > > and I think thats what people are asking for - to be able to meet-up and
> > > talk code, at every level, but also to help each other out with difficult
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > So I'm open to running this group - putting my hat in the ring as it
> > were,
> > > but I'd like to see a show of interest to know how many people would be
> > > interested in this kind of thing, also what your skill level is at.
> > >
> > > I think if we can get a decent mix, its worth doing - if its all newbies
> > > and no 'know it alls', it won't be very productive.
> > >
> > > thoughts?
> > >
> > > Sean

----
Matt Boyer <mboyer at sdf.org>