[tog] potential coder meet-up group?

Tom Salmon tom at tomsalmon.com
Fri Oct 11 10:06:28 IST 2013

I found open source night to be good motivation for contributing, not everyone is sat around talking about nothing. I missed the most recent one, but previous to that my contribution from the night was a backport to Debian - something I probably would not have done if it wasn't for open source night.

I would be up for a programming night. I have most recently been working with Python but also experienced with C, Perl, PHP and the old favourite bash scripting.

Tom.

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 08:59:40AM +0100, Jacob Thomas wrote:
> I'd be interested. Getting more into programming, but have a bit of
> experience with Lua and some of the more obscure languages. Only worry I'd
> have about this is if it turned into open source night, where people just
> sit around talking about nothing, instead of actually coding or
> contributing.
>

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 8:46 AM, Caoimhin Blake <caoimhin.blake at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > I would be interested, my skills would be advanced C++ and C# but beginner
> > level python and always interested in other languages, developer tools
> > and IDE's. I have a couple of ideas for new projects or am willing to get
> > involved in others if
> > required.
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Are you interested in a programming based meet-up in Tog?
> > >
> > > I've heard from a couple of people recently that they would like a
> > regular
> > > group in Tog that would be programming-oriented, with a heavy bent on
> > > helping out the newbies.
> > >
> > > I know myself it was a hard slog to get past that initial learning curve,
> > > and I think thats what people are asking for - to be able to meet-up and
> > > talk code, at every level, but also to help each other out with difficult
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > So I'm open to running this group - putting my hat in the ring as it
> > were,
> > > but I'd like to see a show of interest to know how many people would be
> > > interested in this kind of thing, also what your skill level is at.
> > >
> > > I think if we can get a decent mix, its worth doing - if its all newbies
> > > and no 'know it alls', it won't be very productive.
> > >
> > > thoughts?
> > >
> > > Sean

Tom Salmon

http://tomsalmon.eu/