[tog] Dublin Hacks: Disaster-Smart Cities

Schrodinger schrodinger at konundrum.org
Mon Oct 7 14:17:20 IST 2013

Come hack for urban disaster preparedness!

Geeks Without Bounds is hosting Dublin Hacks in the TOG hacker space as
a way for technologists and coders to contribute to the wellbeing of
their city during a disaster scenario – and help response efforts go as
smoothly as possible. Urban disaster preparedness seeks to create
technologies that help empower people in the face of uncertain
circumstances to be the architects of their own rescue.

So what are we doing?

Curated challenges for urban disaster preparedness will be presented by
local humanitarian and disaster groups, and participants will form
teams around those challenges. You are also heartily encouraged to
pitch your own related idea at the event and submit your project at the
final judging. Teams will have all day Saturday to work on their
projects before final submissions are due at 18:30.

Safe Space.

Coders of all genders and presentations are welcome, and we provide a
safe space to learn, make mistakes, and try again. We encourage
techies of all skill sets and experience levels to attend, from the
brand new coder to the veteran C+er. We set the expectation of
mutual respect for everyone at the event, and work to make sure
participants feel welcome.

Schedule:

Friday, Nov. 1st

 - 19:00 – 19:30: Doors open – snacks and beer
 - 19:30 – 20:30: Overview, intros, talks, and challenges
 - 20:30 – 21:30: Team Formation

Saturday, Nov. 2nd

 - 09:00 – 9:30: Doors open – breakfast and caffeine
 - 09:30 – 13:00: Hacking!
 - 13:00 – 13:30: Lunch
 - 13:30 – 17:30: Hacking!
 - 17:30 – 18:30: Presentations
 - 18:30 – 19:00: Judging
 - 19:00 – 19:30: Prizes and closing summary

Registration at https://dublinhacks-smartcities.eventbrite.com/

Schrodinger.
MSN: schro5 at hotmail.com
ICQ: 112562229