[tog] (no subject)

Philip Ashmore contact at philipashmore.com
Tue Jan 29 20:07:06 GMT 2013

On 29/01/13 19:30, Sophie O'Gara wrote:
> Oh thanks Philip for all of your really useful links!
>
> I was thinking of doing a clear blue tinted resin (I was looking it up
> online and saw that apparently it exists).
>
> The sideglow lights look like exactly what I'm looking for. Do they
> need a switch to turn them off and on?
You put the LEDs, battery, any other electronics and a switch in the
base, then route the light thread to where it's needed, shielding it in
places you don't want light escaping.
That way you can try different LEDs without having to scrap the sculpture.

I think the side-glow idea is based on tiny cracks/impurities in the
plastic fibre.
I'd experiment with an acrylic bow, a bow moulded around a fibre e.t.c.
and get that looking right first.
Actually I'd computer model the lot first if I knew how to use Blender
http://www.blender.org/

I had an idea for 3D-printing that could apply here
http://philipashmore.blogspot.ie/2012/02/3d-printing-pcbs.html

That's a bit off-topic and isn't out there yet (I'll get around to it)
but it might be able to simulate eye colour and skin tone.
Let me know how you get on!

Philip