[tog] (no subject)

Sophie O'Gara ravingsohma at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 19:30:12 GMT 2013

Oh thanks Philip for all of your really useful links!

I was thinking of doing a clear blue tinted resin (I was looking it up
online and saw that apparently it exists).

The sideglow lights look like exactly what I'm looking for. Do they need a
switch to turn them off and on?

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM, Philip Ashmore
<contact at philipashmore.com>wrote:

> On 29/01/13 18:18, Sophie O'Gara wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm trying to make a blue clear resin replica of the bow and arrow from
>> the picture below.
>>  I want to put LEDs into the middle of the bow as well and the arrow so
>> it will glow.
>>
> You might be better off using "sideglow" plastic or similar for the
> bow/arrow - Google got me
> http://www.fiberopticproducts.**com/Sideglow.htm<http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Sideglow.htm>
> I looked into it a while ago for ideas for shop display lighting, you
> might be able to make your own with clear/blue acrylic.
>
>   I'm going to make a clay model of the bow and arrow which I then want to
>> mold so I can pour the clear blue resin into the mold to create the bow.
>> Does anyone in TOG have any experience in mold making or know where would
>> be a good place to start?
>>
> I use Polymorph
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Polycaprolactone<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycaprolactone>
> You can get some at Maplins.
> Make the shape you want, then make a rubber mould - a quick Google got me
> http://www.smooth-on.com/**Sculpture-and-Art-/c1239/**index.html<http://www.smooth-on.com/Sculpture-and-Art-/c1239/index.html>
>
>   What would be the best way to go about making the mold so that it would
>> be in 3d?
>> Would resin be the best way to do this or would it possibly be too heavy?
>>
> Depends on the size.
>

>>  Pic: http://zwyll.org/external/lol/**champions_eu/Ashe_Splash_0.jpg<http://zwyll.org/external/lol/champions_eu/Ashe_Splash_0.jpg>
>>
> Looks awesome. Will the finished item be clear, painted or with multiple
> staged moulds with different coloured resin?
>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sophie
>>
>> --
>> Sophie O'Gara