[tog] (no subject)

Philip Ashmore contact at philipashmore.com
Tue Jan 29 19:21:21 GMT 2013

On 29/01/13 18:18, Sophie O'Gara wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to make a blue clear resin replica of the bow and arrow
> from the picture below.
>  I want to put LEDs into the middle of the bow as well and the arrow
> so it will glow.
You might be better off using "sideglow" plastic or similar for the
bow/arrow - Google got me
http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/Sideglow.htm
I looked into it a while ago for ideas for shop display lighting, you
might be able to make your own with clear/blue acrylic.
>  I'm going to make a clay model of the bow and arrow which I then want
> to mold so I can pour the clear blue resin into the mold to create the
> bow.
> Does anyone in TOG have any experience in mold making or know where
> would be a good place to start?
I use Polymorph
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycaprolactone
You can get some at Maplins.
Make the shape you want, then make a rubber mould - a quick Google got me
http://www.smooth-on.com/Sculpture-and-Art-/c1239/index.html
>  What would be the best way to go about making the mold so that it
> would be in 3d?
> Would resin be the best way to do this or would it possibly be too heavy?
Depends on the size.

>  Pic: http://zwyll.org/external/lol/champions_eu/Ashe_Splash_0.jpg
Looks awesome. Will the finished item be clear, painted or with multiple
staged moulds with different coloured resin?