[tog] Christmas present suggestions for a handyman

Cian Masterson cian.masterson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 10:28:56 GMT 2012

How about getting him some Sugru?  My wife bought some for her Dad as a
present and he loves the stuff - every phonecall seems to be him planning
what he's going to do with it next.  It's like the lovechild of play-doh
and rubber.  Here's an entertaining video describing it if you don't know
what it is: https://sugru.com/videos/wtf-is-sugru

Another option might be a RaspberryPi (www.raspberrypi.org/quick-start-guide) -
I've heard it makes a good home theatre PC if you run Raspbmc (
www.raspbmc.com) on it but haven't done it myself.  Also good for making
robots as it has GPIO pins, or just for hobby programming projects.  If he
was into programming on the BBC Micro back in the day he might well like it.

Slan,
Cian

On 21 November 2012 17:25, kevin nally <zombiekirby1990 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Tog
> It's christmas time and I need help finding a good present for my Dad. I
> have not been great in the past and so I am deciding to crowd-source ideas
> for a decent present.
> This year I would like to get him a project that he could work on and get
> some genuine satisfaction out of rather than a default 20euro dvd from HMV
> which is why I am contacting TOG! The creative engineering hivemind! My dad
> is a bit of a handyman and in his youth was a technician for eircom so I
> think he would blend in quite easily with the Tog mentality. Today he is a
> consultant project manager but still enjoys using his hands-on skills when
> he can. This is evidenced by the digital amphitheatre that is our TV room.
> He rarely gets to talk about his technical skills at home so a project
> present might give him the oppurtunity to do that.  I think it would be new
> territory in terms of present giving but I'd much rather take the risk than
> give a lame unthoughtful present.  One quick warning though is that my dad
> is very busy in general with work so anything that requires very long
> intensive periods of time may turn him off
> So, TOG elves can you please help? I'd really appreciate some suggestions
> for presents. Things you wish you could get your hands on or past presents
> that you really enjoyed. Maybe even some suggestions of presents NOT to get
> :D This email may even help some other people out there looking for ideas
> for presents.
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read this and I apologise for those that see
> this as spam.
> Merry Christmas all!
>
> Kev

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set
 fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
          --  Terry Pratchett