[tog] SOPA Debate

Sean Nicholls seannicholls at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:48:41 IST 2012

Hi Guys,

Please don't hurt me. I'm not going to say anything about Google Groups this time!

Some of you know that I've been trying to organise a debate with Minister Sherlock around copyright, digital rights, and specifically the Sopa Ireland business. Well its happening! So, I thought some of you might be interested...

 I'll be keeping the updated details on my blog: http://www.seannicholls.com/blog/2012/3/29/the-digital-rights-forum.html

here's a copy/paste so far:

==========

The Time: Tuesday 3rd of April, 1-2pm

The Place: The Science Gallery

The Topic: Your Digital Rights (with respect to copyright)

The Audience: Everyone with a vested interest in the Internet & Copyright

The Cost: None. Tickets are free.

The Digital Rights Forum is a public debate in the prestigous Science Gallery on Tuesday 3rd of April at 1-2pm, to discuss the issues surrounding copyright legislation and digital rights in Ireland.

The argument has been made that statutory instrument 59/2012 which was signed into law by Richard Bruton, T.D. on 29th February of this year will curtail access to websites and services in Ireland and may represent a real threat to Irish citizens civil rights and free access to The Internet by enabling rights holders to seek potentially costly and damaging injunction against websites as innocuous as Youtube, Google, Facebook, Twitter, Boards.ie and others.

These issues and more will be addressed by the panel at the forum, with a Q&A session for attendees to directly address the panel with their concerns.

Panelists:

Sean Sherlock, Minister for Research & Innovation
Simon McGarr, Litigation Solicitor, Spearheaded the expulsion of The Papal nuncio
Paul Durrant,  GM of the Internet Service Providers Association of Ireland.
Tom Murphy,  Director & Founder of Boards.ie
Chair:

John Kennedy Editor, Silicon Republic