[tog] Google Groups

Chebe Geek chebegeek at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 11:49:22 GMT 2012

Hi Sean,

I am sorry to hear that you're having this much trouble with the mailing
list format. I would be interested in seeing what you're describing
(because at the moment I can't visualise it well) and maybe seeing if
there's anything to be done to make it less stressful? (I'm thinking about
writing an Intro to Mailing Lists blog post like the I did for irc, just
fyi.)

Getting everyone here moving to somewhere that requires an account is very
difficult. A while back there was an attempt at diversifying our
communication channels to include a boards.ie forum (which is still there
if you'd like to use it) but uptake was low, even among members who already
had accounts.

There are many reasons I'd like to see the mailing list format changed
personally (backed-up by social interaction studies, etc), but moving to
Google won't work. Perhaps there is a self-hosted option we could look
into? ... But I seriously doubt if any change will be considered by most
old-fashioned members :(

But I do hope we can help in some way,

--
"Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, and Doctor, I'm happy to
state I finally won out over it." - Elwood P. Dowd