[tog] Google Groups

Padraic Harley padraic at 091labs.com
Sat Mar 17 20:03:35 GMT 2012

Google were unable to promise NUIG that their student emails would be
stored on servers inside of Europe which is why we went with Microsoft
at the time... though it has since turned out that wherever they have
servers, they are apparently still accessible by 'Merica. --
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/igeneration/microsoft-admits-patriot-act-can-access-eu-based-cloud-data/11225
In general, don't use products by large advertising companies if you
expect data protection.

Yeah, 091 Labs uses it and Apps because it's free. The new version of
Google Groups is a pain in the ass and fairly unintuitive via a webpage.

Mailman, though plain, works.

My 3 cents (inflation)
- Padraic

On 17/03/12 19:27, Domhnall Walsh wrote:
> Gah, sent this just to Rory somehow first time out - sorry.
>
> Speaking as a member of 091 Labs, the only reason we're using Google
> Groups is because it's free, frankly. I'm not sure the data protection
> issues have been considered; we'll definitely have to look into that.
> We're also using Google Apps for our e-mail for the same reason, and
> similarly we'll have to look more closely at the privacy issues.
>
> Thanks,
> Domhnall.
>
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Sean Nicholls
> <seannicholls at gmail.com <mailto:seannicholls at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Guys,
>
>     Am I really the only one banging his head off the current mailing
>     list format?
>
>     * It's not easily searchable
>
>     * I feel like I'm missing out on some discussions until after
>     they've happened
>
>     * Maybe I'm just thick as mud but replying to individual threads
>     is not easy; I have to manually copy & paste the subject, sender
>     and list addresses and hope that it all goes well. Just look at
>     the Mobile App thread, it ended up putting replies at the root for
>     apparently no reason.
>
>     * the current web interface leaves a lot to be desired
>
>     I've noticed that 091 Labs, Nexus Cork and Limerick Hackerspaces
>     all use Google Groups. Is there any particular reason the public
>     Tog list shouldn't be a Google Group?
>
>     personally, I think it would be much easier to manage - it
>     certainly would require less maintenance. and above all else, the
>     most important thing of all - it'd stop wreckin mah head!!
>
>     - Sean

Padraic Harley

Phone: +353 (0)85 2138803
Email: padraic at 091labs.com