[tog] Tog Mobile App

james at entropylabs.eu james at entropylabs.eu
Fri Mar 2 13:32:10 GMT 2012

Hi Sean,
 I've spent the last few years working in mobile
development (various platforms, mostly native Android and J2ME),
and was
thinking of a doing something like this myself, but I don't have the
time at the moment (new baby and house :)
I have some feedback below,
but like the others said, if you're pony-ing up the man-hours, you make
the calls!

Regarding google maps, I would be a lot happier to see OSM
in there :)

On 02.03.2012 09:10, Sean Nicholls wrote:
> Oh, of course
it'll be open source! I thought I mentioned that last
> night, but I
must've just forgotten. To be an "official" Tog app, I
> think your
right, it would have to be absolutely essential that the
> code was open
source. I'll be putting it on GitHub or something
> similar.
>
> Re:
Tech
> I haven't decided on what tech to use yet, part of the goal is to
get
> it on the three main App stores (Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7).
So
> what I'm currently thinking is:

As unfashionable is it may sound,
there are still plenty of people with Symbian and J2ME devices out there
(and Blackberry etc...).
I know that's a lot of platforms to support,
but if there is the option to use something cross platform that ticks
all the boxes,
it is worth considering. These are the best numbers I
could find on short notice (doesn't show J2ME)...

WORLDWIDE SMARTPHONE
SALES TO END USERS BY OPERATING SYSTEM IN 2Q11 (THOUSANDS OF UNITS)

OPERATING SYSTEM

2Q11

 UNITS

2Q11 MARKET SHARE (%)

2Q10

 UNITS

2Q10 MARKET SHARE (%)

Android

46,775.9

43.4

10,652.7

17.2

Symbian

23,853.2

22.1

25,386.8

40.9

iOS

19,628.8

18.2

8,743.0

14.1

Research In
Motion

12,652.3

11.7

11,628.8

18.7

Bada

2,055.8

1.9

577.0

0.9

Microsoft

1,723.8

1.6

3,058.8

4.9

Others

1,050.6

1.0

2,010.9

3.2

TOTAL

107,740.4

100.0

62,058.1

100.0

> 1. Each app built
in the native environment (time prohibitive,
> "expensive" in terms of
expertise, maintenance etc), but useful for
> fellow hackers wanting to
see the internals of the same
> functionality/app on different OS's.
>

> 2. A web app (I am against this for various reasons, namely: no app

store presence; poor performance, no device specific features,

internet required etc.)

Why no app store presence? What kind of
performance do you need that HTML can't meet?
Many web app platforms
allow the content to be bundled or cached locally, and most have hooks
into device functionality.

> 3. A cross platform tool such as Unity
or MonoTouch.

> I am currently leaning towards option #3 as it
provides a single
> language for all platforms, making updates and
maintenance much more
> likely. Unity is not a platform built for apps
per se, but it can be
> done. MonoTouch costs about 800eur and I haven't
invested in that
> toolchain yet (unlike Unity).
>
> I haven't got any
experience with Phone Gap, but I'll look into it.
> I'm somewhat
suspicious about the whole HTML5 -> Native App
> development trend
that's kicked off recently. There's a lot of
> copycats. Looking at the
pricing model - I'm already pretty much
> against it. A subscription
model for a toolchain? I'm not sold. It
> takes a lot of control out of
your hands - what if the build service
> or your internet is down?
you're screwed.

I have no problem with you choosing what you are most
comfortable with,
but I wouldn't even consider using anything that needs
to be paid for
and I _would_ seriously consider PhoneGap, it being a
common solution in this space.

> tl;dr tech will probably end up
being C#, using Mono(Touch/Android)
> and a separate WP7 project which
reuses code/classes etc.

> I think a Calendar, Contact form and a
"Find my local hackerspace"
> features are great, I'll add them to the
list.

2012, at 08:50, Jeffrey Roe wrote:

>> I think its a great idea . And
thanks for coming forward with it .

>> We could also have the
calendar , a contact form , maybe a find me
>> a hackerspace map thing
where it shows you your nearest space .

>> To be an official app , I
think the sourse would have to be open
>> and reviewed . We don't want
people saying that the tog app records
.

>> What are you thinking of using phone gap ?
>>
>> Regards,

Jeffrey Roe
>> On 2 Mar 2012 00:57, "Sean Nicholls" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
All,

>>> So one of the things that I "do" is make mobile apps,
for
>>> Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7 etc.
>>>
>>> I was thinking about
making a Tog mobile app. Why an app for
>>> Tog? well, beyond the whole
"why the hell not" reason, which is
>>> pretty damn good if you ask me,
I think it could do no harm in
>>> getting the word out. It'd also be an
exercise for myself in
>>> making an app which spans all of the major
smart phone app market
>>> places at once. Additionally, it could add
some nice features
>>> which would be useful to members.

Obviously, I don't want to do this unilaterally and would like
>>> some
input if people are up for such a thing, or if anyone would
>>> be
against such a thing etc.

>>> I was thinking at least for version
one that it would have:

>>> * Google Map of Tog, possibly routes to
public transport to get
>>> to Tog
>>>
>>> * Tog is Open/Closed

* Tog Gallery (photos from the Tog.ie) gallery

>>> * any other cool
ideas people come up with (Augmented reality?)

>>> I don't know what
the deal is with *other* hacker spaces having
>>> their own apps or not,
but I think it'd be a cool thing to have.

>>> So what do you guys
think?

https://lists.tog.ie/mailman/listinfo/tog
mailto:seannicholls at gmail.com