[tog] Tog Mobile App

Sean Nicholls seannicholls at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 09:10:59 GMT 2012

Oh, of course it'll be open source! I thought I mentioned that last night, but I must've just forgotten. To be an "official" Tog app, I think your right, it would have to be absolutely essential that the code was open source. I'll be putting it on GitHub or something similar.

Re: Tech
I haven't decided on what tech to use yet, part of the goal is to get it on the three main App stores (Android, iOS, Windows Phone 7). So what I'm currently thinking is:

1. Each app built in the native environment (time prohibitive, "expensive" in terms of expertise, maintenance etc), but useful for fellow hackers wanting to see the internals of the same functionality/app on different OS's.

2. A web app (I am against this for various reasons, namely: no app store presence; poor performance, no device specific features, internet required etc.)

3. A cross platform tool such as Unity or MonoTouch.

I am currently leaning towards option #3 as it provides a single language for all platforms, making updates and maintenance much more likely. Unity is not a platform built for apps per se, but it can be done. MonoTouch costs about 800eur and I haven't invested in that toolchain yet (unlike Unity).

I haven't got any experience with Phone Gap, but I'll look into it. I'm somewhat suspicious about the whole HTML5 -> Native App development trend that's kicked off recently. There's a lot of copycats. Looking at the pricing model - I'm already pretty much against it. A subscription model for a toolchain? I'm not sold. It takes a lot of control out of your hands - what if the build service or your internet is down? you're screwed.

tl;dr tech will probably end up being C#, using Mono(Touch/Android) and a separate WP7 project which reuses code/classes etc.

I think a Calendar, Contact form and a "Find my local hackerspace" features are great, I'll add them to the list.

I think some of these features will require a little change to Tog.ie - namely RSS feeds, which as far as I can tell are entirely missing from the site. If there was an RSS feed for blog posts, TOG status etc. I think that would help a lot.

- Sean