[tog] led display

digi hobo hontar at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 15:24:50 IST 2012

Hi Sean,

I've not heard of led tape before, could you expand about this material. Is
it just a reel of discreet leds?
What is the led tape being used for?
A quick google shows a possible circuit that will do 12 hours
http://www.reuk.co.uk/Timer-Circuits-With-4060B.htm

If you're not into building the whole circuit from scratch, you could
use anarduino<http://www.arduino.cc/>which is a bit more user friendly
in terms of programming. These also have the advantage of adding shields to
expand functionality like network connectivity. As Rory mentioned, there
are regular electronics classes which are open to the public, just check
the tog calendar.
"Every Monday From 7pm – Electronics and Micro Controller: We mainly deal
with Arduino’s as they seem to be very popular within the hackerspaces
community."

Alternatively you could use a bifferboard <http://bifferos.co.uk/> which
has an io pin. This can run linux and so you could run a cron job to turn
on and off the circuit.

We use one in the space to read in a throw switches state, then this sets
the space open/closed state on the tog site.
eg http://www.tog.ie/2012/02/space-open-closed/

I would recommend coming to Tog on Monday to get more input. We normally
don't bite :)

Regards

Ed