[tog] call for collaborators, Hack the city 11th-26th July

medikids at wowm.org medikids at wowm.org
Sun Jul 1 10:22:44 IST 2012

Hi TOG hackerspace members!

As you maybe know, Science Gallery is organizing event called Hack the city (http://sciencegallery.com/node/4287).
From 11th of July until 26th of July there will be a workshop where we will be developing 6 projects.

I am Martina, student from Zagreb and author of one of the projects and I  need colaborators who are free during that period (not necessarly whole two weeks, as long as you want) to join me and help realizing the project. Official opening is July 11th and that night is also welcome reception at Science Gallery - it would be nice to meet you there.
Now about the project:

'Thank you for recycling' is about drawing attention to the recycling habits by hacking recycling bins and converting them into public art installations.
We are going to put a few of these recycling bins (for paper, plastic, glass, bio degradable material..) in the public area, somewhere as close as possible to the heart of Dublin. Each bin will have sensors for the waste which will count total amount of it by the end of the day. During the night, the bin will visualize output of its sensor on a display which will cover part of its surface. Display will be formed of modules of layered glass, led lights and photovoltaic solar cells which will absorb energy from the sun during the day. We will decide how to represent this data in creative and customizable ways and decide about design and other details of implementation. Also, there is a possibility to use datasets of recycling quantities of the city and to visualize them on led displays and on the web page that will accompany the project together with the information about recycling bins. The whole project itself will be good for environment combining both renewable energy sources and recycling while at the same time will be amazing public art sculpture and real time visualization of "good citizens' deeds".

And more details about this and other projects:
http://medialab-prado.es/article/interactivos12_dublin_hackear_la_ciudad_necesidades_actuales_y_futuras (it might open in spanish, so just change the language)
of course, if you're interested in other projects also, you can join and help on any project you want.
My project is open to your ideas - all about design and implementation can be modified as we decide.

We will have workspace for our team (table and chairs, power access point and wifi in science gallery, access to soldering irons etc needed for electronics)
technical materials for recycling hack including: flexible solar cell, micro controller (lightduino), batteries and charger, LED light fixtures/strips, LED drivers M5451, PING ultrasonic sensor, resitors, condensers, breadboards, Seven Segment Displays, shifter,1 x Bin.
And lot of fun of course!

So if you are interested, please apply as a collaborator on this page: http://medialab-prado.es/article/interactivos_dublin_call_collaborators
and we also have forum: http://servidor.medialab-prado.es/~foros/punbb-1.4.1/viewforum.php?id=28
and my topic: http://servidor.medialab-prado.es/~foros/punbb-1.4.1/viewtopic.php?id=32911

As you can see I have just one collaborator applied for now so it would be good to have more hackers, diy electronic enthusiasts, and anyone interested.
I think our 'trash team' will have a great time there! :)

Thanks for reading this and hope somebody will join me soon in Dublin,

Martina Kalogjera

(if I forgot to mention some details, just ask)