[tog] Mailer

Tara Whelan tara at thecivicworks.ie
Thu Dec 6 14:40:26 GMT 2012

Hi all,

We’re testing the idea of helping people to make things on the equipment in
various institutions and organisations.

We’re running a short tester with NCAD on three of their machines; a CNC
mill, a laser cutter and a 3D printer (dental plaster type). We’re looking
for five users who would like to make something with these machines. We’d
like the users to have varying levels of skill and ambition. The project
will happen over two weeks, most likely in mid-January.

We need:

Five makers - craftspeople, artists, entrepreneurs, hobbyists, techy types,
DIY afficionados... Anyone who has an idea they’d like to see fabricated on
one of the aforementioned machines.

CAD technicians - if you have expertise with vector-based (Inkscape,
Illustrator, etc.) or 3D modelling programs (Solidworks, Rhino, 3DSMax,
etc.) and would like to help someone make their project a reality, it would
be wonderful if you could offer a few hours of your time in mid-January.
The design phase of the tester will happen over the course of one week.

If you are interested in being involved, drop an email to
tara at thecivicworks.ie
detailing:

-What you’d like to make (list materials, size, gist of the idea, which
machine(s) you think you need, etc.)

-Whether or not you’ll need assistance in drawing up the file for
fabrication. If you will need help, then you’ll need to draw up sketches
ahead of time to assist the technicians.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Tara

tara at thecivicworks.ie