[tog] OpenWRT workshop, anyone?

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gna.org
Sun Dec 2 20:12:42 GMT 2012

Hi,

Is anyone interested in an OpenWRT[1] workshop? If so, then I would like
to lead a workshop to help people get OpenWRT on their routers.
I've heard that some people form the Dublin Linux User Group woukld be
interested.

Please bear in mind, that you can brick your router by doing so, and
that in no event shall I be liable for any direct or indirect damage of
your device(s).

I would bring myself am Alpha Networks R36, a Linksys WRT54G2-V1 and/or
a Linksys WAG354G-V2. They all run stock firmware and I would update
them with OpenWRT and offer them to TOG.

Updating your router usually requires some basic hardware hacking
(usually it is as simple as soldering a RS232 transceiver), so you will
need a soldering iron, a TTL-RS232 transceiver and a RS232/USB converter.

To know if your router is supported, simply google OpenWRT with the
manufacturer name of your router and it's model number, like "OpenWRT
Linksys WRT54G2 V1"

Chris.

[1] https://openwrt.org/
OpenWRT is an alternative and open source firmware for wireless/ADSL
routers.
Quote from there web page:
"Instead of trying to create a single, static firmware, OpenWrt provides
a fully writable filesystem with package management. This frees you from
the application selection and configuration provided by the vendor and
allows you to customize the device through the use of packages to suit
any application. For developer, OpenWrt is the framework to build an
application without having to build a complete firmware around it; for
users this means the ability for full customization, to use the device
in ways never envisioned."

--
Chris