[tog] TOG TV Broadcast station project update

Daniel Cussen dan at post.com
Sat Sep 24 17:59:34 IST 2011

Hi all,

The main project I have been working on this year is a TV broadcast
station for Dublin. This will broadcast a full TV station over radio
which can be picked up by an aerial in the Dublin area.

This TV station is experimental and lots of people will have the
ability to send their own TV pictures through the system.

I would like to see this system used by TOG people and the wider
arts/short film makers etc. It can also be used for live outside
broadcasts such as events/protests etc.

I heard from the government the licence to broadcast should be issued
in the next few weeks. We have a site up the mountains overlooking the
city and we are about 60% complete on building and testing the system.

Much of the design is home-made electronics and control systems and it
is planned to link to a similar system in cavan from the start.

I might be looking for help from some TOG members, particularly
between now on X-mas on the broadcast control side and from the new
year, on testing coverage across the city and helping build up receive
kits. Ideally I would like to setup 10 to 30 people to receive the
signal next year and expand the system depending on interest and
funding.

The system is quite experimental, open and simple. It is a repeater
design which means anyone with the required licence can send a signal
from their home up to the mountain, and the mountaintop site will
re-transmit the signal back over the city.

At least 4 members of TOG already have the licence needed and there
are at least 30 other people in the Dublin area. By linking to the
Cavan system then others in the Cavan/Dundalk area can also join in. A
licence is not needed to receive the signal.

I hope to be at the next social night on Saturday 1st of October, and
I hope to have some of the equipment with me. It's not all that
complicated and I intend using low cost off the shelf equipment for
receivers.

Please feel free to reply with questions etc.

Dan