[tog] Fwd: FREE Workshop on Data protection & Communication Security: 31/08/2011 6pm-8pm Science Gallery

John Kavanagh john at kavanista.com
Wed Aug 24 21:31:32 IST 2011

*Data protection and communication security:*
*How to keep your digital information secure*

Wednesday August 31st 2011
6pm to 8pm
The Science Gallery (Paccar Theatre)
Pearse Street
Dublin 2
*
This is a FREE event, but tickets are a first come first serve basis. To
reserve your tickets please go to:
http://www.sciencegallery.com/events/2011/08/data-protection-and-communication-security-how-keep-your-digital-information-secure

**About:*
The session will deliver practical techniques with step-by-step instructions
to *improve the security of your data*. We will examine how to *protect your
computer from spyware* and *hackers*, *protect the sensitive files on your
compute*r and how to *destroy sensitive information*.* *The workshop will
also give practical advice to help *keep your internet communication private
and secure*. We will investigate how to *improve the security of your
email*and instant messaging, as well as techniques to remain anonymous
and bypass
censorship on the internet. Finally we will discuss how to use mobile phones
as securely as possible.

This workshop is open to everyone, and will be* particularly useful for
investigative journalists, activists, members of the NGO community and
anyone working with sensitive information. *

*The speaker:*
*Wojtek Bogusz* is a digital security consultant, providing training and
advice to human rights activists on how to increase the privacy and freedom
of communication in repressive environments.
He currently works for Front Line https://www.frontlinedefenders.org/  an
international foundation for the protection of human rights defenders. He is
the co-author and project leader of *Security in a Box* - a toolkit of
software and guides for improving computer security and privacy.

*Gavin Sheridan* will introduce Wojtek, Gavin is one of the main forces
behind Ireland's biggest FOI (freedom of information act) platforms: *
www.thestory.ie *, he is also a journalist with
www.Storyful.com<http://www.storyful.com/>.

This free workshop is co-sponsored by:
Distilled Ideas, Frontline, The Science Gallery, The Story.ie and Pixelapes
*It is a FREE event, but tickets are a first come first serve basis. To

--
www.distilledideas.com
 <http://www.aoibheann.net>