[tog] Linux Presentation Day in Germany, Italy, France, UK, Portugal, Austria, Switzerland, ...

Hauke Laging hauke.laging at linux-presentation-day.de
Wed Jan 20 05:38:03 CET 2016

Hello,

I am a member of the board of the Berlin Linux User Group (BeLUG, a non-
commercial association). About a year ago I had an idea for a new kind
of Linux event which should be targeted at people who don't know Linux
yet and which should be very easy to organize. We call this the "Linux
Presentation Day" – not very German but we intended from the beginning
to expand this beyond Germany after some time. Here is an English
summary:

http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/

On May, 9th 2015 we had the first event, limited to Berlin at eight
locations. The second event was on November, 14th. 79 locations in 72
cities in three countries (Germany, Austria, Switzerland) participated;
the event had 1500 visitors (due to an unexpected lack of media
coverage). Two new Linux User Groups have been founded.

Now we have started to look for organizations abroad for our next event
as the main goal of the event is to make it so big that we reach a new
level of media coverage. We were more than surprised when we were told
that both the Italians and the French have been doing something very
similar for 15 years...!

http://www.linuxday.it/
http://www.libre-en-fete.net/

So my first question is: Is there something similar in Ireland already?

I am looking for a few organizations (LUGs, similar associations,
companies, schools, universities, ...) which are interested in such an
event and might participate in the LPD 2016.1 and use their experience
from that for organizing it as a nationwide event for LPD 2016.2.

http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/call-for/2016.1/
http://www.linux-presentation-day.org/participate/

The date for the next event (LPD 2016.1) is April, 30th (Saturday). The
date for 2016.2 will be the Italian date (October, 22th).

In addition to the first three countries probably Italy and the
Netherlands will participate more or less nationwide, France with
several locations and at least UK, Portugal and probably Greece with a
few. The aim is to have a Europe-wide event soon and a worldwide event
within a few years.

CU

Hauke
(Mr. Hauke Laging)
--
Hotline für den Linux Presentation Day: 030 / 55579620 (13–23 h)
    mobil: 0176 / 7482 7253 (13–23 h)

XMPP (Chat mit OTR): linux-presentation-day at jabber.ccc.de
   OTR: 91626899 1C06F2BD 75EC2441 35C696CE 38F75997