[tog] Cleanup, new flooring and lots more projects.

Schrodinger schrodinger at konundrum.org
Mon Jul 1 11:08:26 IST 2013

On 2013/07/01 10:52, Thomas Geraghty wrote:
> Hi Christian,

Hey Christian,

Thanks for the feed back!! It's always welcome and very much needed.

> I thought I'd add my own 2 cents in the hope it might be helpful. The
> space is already a pretty welcoming place and the people there are
> wonderful. For me, the problem is opening hours. It takes me roughly
> 45 mins to get to the space. When I leave, the website might say open
> but it's probable that could change during those 45 mins. The actual
> reality of things doesn't matter, it's the thought of that happening
> that leads to me staying and hacking at home. I'm not sure if the
> space historically had problems with giving access to too many members

Access to members has never been a problem because members get keys :)

> but I think the primary problem is there's too much time where nobody
> is in the space. 091labs in Galway always has someone floating around
> so it really feels like you're welcome at any time to come in and get
> some work done. When I moved to Dublin, I spent a frustrating weekend
> constantly checking IRC and the site status to see if it was open. If
> the problem is that people are busy and only show up to events, then
> we can fix that with more events! I already mentioned my willingness
> to do programming classes and that still stands.

I will have to rummage back through the mailing list but can you remind
me what type / format of classes you want to run and I promise to get
the ball rolling. There shouldn't be much of a reason why this can't
happen and get going.

> For politeness, here's a TL;DR :)
>
> ISSUE: Space isn't open consistently enough outside events.
> CONSEQUENCE: Potential members give up trying to find a time when the
> space is open.
> SOLUTION: More events, or a more conscious effort from those who have
> free time during the day or weekends to make sure the space has at
> least one key-holding member present.
>
> Feel free to ignore all of this, just trying to provide insight from
> someone who's only visited the space once :)

Never say "Feel free to ignore all of this" If you write an email to an
email list the least people can do is read it! If people aren't reading
their emails they can always unsubscribe.

Many thanks for your feed back.

Yes, access to the space for non-members has always been a problem. Some
of the members are trying now to be in the space on a more regular
basis. Myself included, I've been trying to get to the space more often
in the evenings after work. If I go home I tend to zone out and do feck
all work and I've tons of crap to be working on.

I think there is generally someone in Tog every evening now but it's not
always advertised, some Toglodytes want to go into Tog and just work on
their own thing - which is perfectly acceptable. But in general we
advertise as much as possible that the space is open.

The only other problem has been the odd hiccup with the open/close sign.
These aren't too often and most of the time it's the IRC bot that screws
up and that is out of our hands. It's a connectivity problem, most of
the time, to FreeNode. But the website tends to say mostly up to date.

If this was TL;DR - scroll up :)

Schrodinger.
MSN: schro5 at hotmail.com
ICQ: 112562229