[tog] Need a 3D printer to print a 3D printer

Philip Ashmore contact at philipashmore.com
Fri Sep 28 23:04:14 IST 2012

On 28/09/12 20:22, John Looney wrote:

> Any idea how much the non printable bits are ? $1800?
>
> On 28 Sep 2012 20:09, "Philip Ashmore" <contact at philipashmore.com
> <mailto:contact at philipashmore.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi there.
>
>     In case you didn't know, for $5 one can obtain an STL model of the
>     Formlabs 3D printer:
>
>     http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/formlabs/form-1-an-affordable-professional-3d-printer
>

>     I'm prepared to invest said $5 but I'd the help of someone with a
>     3D printer.
>
>     Does anyone have one or know someone with one?
>
>     The other option is to pay a 3D printing service to print it for me.
>
>     Of course, there's nothing stopping the STL model owner/holder
>     from printing more than one - hence this post.
>
>     Regards,
>     Philip Ashmore

1. Please don't top post - it makes list reading difficult.
2. Please reply on-list so that others can read your input.
3. This was a kind of joke with a serious side, printing the STL results
in a _model_ of
the printer "that you can put on your desk while waiting" - for the real
thing.

The serious side is that electronics can already be printed - see "print
me a phone"

http://www.economist.com/node/21559593

I'm just wondering how long 3D printer manufacturers will walk the
tight-rope of offering greater and greater capabilities in their
products while at the same time not doing themselves out of business by
selling a printer that you could use to print a 3D printer.

I guess that's why no-one is interested in making 3D copiers.

Regards,
Philip